SPANK CHEEKS

Monday, December 11, 2006

TRUTHINESS NOW JOINS THE LEXICOGRAPHICAL PANTHEON

The 2006 Word of the Year is: Truthiness. Yahoo reports:

After 12 months of naked partisanship on Capitol Hill, on cable TV and in the blogosphere, the word of the year for 2006 is ... "truthiness."

The word — if one can call it that — best summed up 2006, according to an online survey by dictionary publisher Merriam-Webster.

"Truthiness" was credited to Comedy Central satirist Stephen Colbert, who defined it as "truth that comes from the gut, not books."

"We're at a point where what constitutes truth is a question on a lot of people's minds, and truth has become up for grabs," said Merriam-Webster president John Morse. "`Truthiness' is a playful way for us to think about a very important issue."

Other Top 10 finishers included "war," "insurgent," "sectarian" and "corruption." But "truthiness" won 5-to-1, Morse said.

Colbert, who once derided the folks at Springfield-based Merriam-Webster as the "word police" and a bunch of "wordinistas," was pleased.

"Though I'm no fan of reference books and their fact-based agendas, I am a fan of anyone who chooses to honor me," he said in an e-mail to The Associated Press.

"And what an honor," he said. "Truthiness now joins the lexicographical pantheon with words like `squash,' `merry,' `crumpet,' `the,' `xylophone,' `circuitous,' `others' and others."
Excellent. That's going to be my site disclaimer. Everything I write on Spank Cheeks is based on "truthiness." Shortest. Disclaimer. Ever.

15 Comments:

Anonymous A SC Fan said...

I love this site!!!!

12:29 AM  
Blogger Walrus Gumboot said...

I'll bet that's Ninja up there??

Merriam-Webster president John Morse forgot, or may not know, my favorite new word of 2006?

"Cocksucker Lips"

5:01 AM  
Anonymous Dragulf said...

Wally, you are my new Hero! I am renaming my cat from Liono to Lumpy in your honor!

8:13 AM  
Blogger Zanna said...

What shape are cocksucker lips, Wally????

8:27 AM  
Blogger Walrus Gumboot said...

"Cupid Bow" lips Zanna baby... just like yours!

8:31 AM  
Blogger Walrus Gumboot said...

Thanks Drag! I consider it an honor.

You can name rename it TROLL too! :)

8:33 AM  
Blogger Italian Stallion said...

Wait, people actually still tell the truth? Fuck that, I'll lie til I die.......bitches

9:43 AM  
Blogger oshkoshb-goshdammgosh said...

I heard that, Stallion. Leave the truth-telling to the weak and the insecure people that don't enjoy getting what they want when they want it.

My favorite word? Libtard.

9:46 AM  
Blogger Zanna said...

Deny deny deny...and when you get caught? Lie. yes, I've cum every time we're together and you are the best I ever had. And oh yea, I love you.

10:04 AM  
Blogger Italian Stallion said...

Zanna- that's fucked up!!! Why would you tell me that shit, if you didn't mean it. So you're saying you faked it, give me another chance, we have to, to save the friendship...........

10:09 AM  
Blogger Zanna said...

yes, to save the friendship. So we can have "this" AND "that"...right?

10:27 AM  
Blogger spankcheeks said...

I once had sex with three men in the space of an hour. There's truthiness for you right there.

10:45 AM  
Blogger Walrus Gumboot said...

I was one of those men! There's more truthiness!!

11:06 AM  
Blogger Italian Stallion said...

Right, figured you would get that......

11:33 AM  
Blogger oshkoshb-goshdammgosh said...

I once had sex with five men in the space of my vagina. That's truthiness as two of them were in the space of my anus.

12:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home